What is Embedded
- Windows Embedded is a family of operating systems that offer familiar tools and technologies for developers to quickly bring the next generation of smart, connected, service-oriented devices to market.
- Windows Embedded enables interoperability with industry standards and Microsoft technologies, enabling connectivity to PCs, services, servers, and other devices.
- Windows Embedded is backed by worldwide support from Windows Embedded Partners and an active development community.
- Windows Embedded products are available for a minimum of 15 years and are supported for a minimum of 10 years.
Advantages of Embedded
- Cost effective
- Simple license model
- Long product availability
Definition of Embedded
- The device must have a dedicated function
- The operating system must be pre-installed
- The device must have a valid Certificate Of Authenticity (COA) attached
Embedded Product Families
- Windows Embedded Enterprise
The Windows Embedded Enterprise family consists of Windows versions which are similar to the retail versions of all Windows versions, e.g. Windows XP Professional, Windows 2000, Windows 7 Ultimate, etc.
The difference between the retail version and the embedded version is only in terms of licensing.
Windows Embedded Enterprise is the easiest way to switch to Embedded as there is no need to change your current way of deployment!
- Windows Embedded Standard
The Windows Embedded Standard family allows you to customize Windows to your needs. It contains products such as Windows Embedded Standard 7, Windows XP Embedded, etc.
With these products you get full control of which components and features should be included in your version of Windows.
This way you can create reliable, secure, fast and low footprint devices which only include the features you need.
Additionally Windows Embedded Standard products do not have to be activated. Just enter the product key once and clone the system as often as needed.
Also a hardware change will not cause an activation!
Windows Embedded Standard products are the best way to customize and secure your devices!
- Windows Embedded Compact
If you need to have an operating system with very small footprint and that is capable of real-time - Windows Embedded Compact is the right product for you.
The Windows Embedded Compact family contains products known as Windows CE. With these products you have full control over the operating system itself as you will have access to the full source code via the Shared Code program. This way you can fully customize Windows to your needs and still protect your Intellectual Property. There is no need to share your modifications with anyone!
- Windows Embedded Server
Within the Windows Embedded Server family you will find most of the retail products of Windows Server. These products are completely the same as the retail versions only differing in terms of licensing. You will find products like Data Protection Manager, Forefront Unified Access Gateway, Windows Storage Server, etc. in this product family. Check out the different servers available in the Embedded Channel and start using the Embedded Server products with all the Embedded advantages!